Boon Chong Goh, Ph.D.
Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology
1 CREATE Way #03-12
Dr. Boon Chong Goh is a research scientist at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) in Singapore. His research projects focus on the development of new drugs targeting antibiotic-resistant bacteria using X-ray crystallography and fragment-based drug design. Boon Chong received his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2016 under the supervision of Prof. Klaus Schulten in the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics group at the Beckman Institute. His doctoral research focuses on the structural studies of viruses and the mechanistic details of host-pathogen interactions. He received his B.Sc. in Physics and Math from Nanyang Technological University in 2011.
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- M.Sc. in Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
- B.Sc.(Hons) in Physics and Applied Mathematics, Nanyang Technological University, 2011
Honors and Awards
- SMART Scholars Programme for Postdoctoral Research, 2016-2018
- Biophysical Society Education Committee Travel Award, 2015
- Best Visualization Award of SC’14 Scientific Visualization and Data Analytics Showcase, 2014
- Center of Physics for Living Cells (CPLC) graduate fellowship, 2011-2013
- Nanyang Scholarship and CN Yang Scholars Programme, 2007-2011
- Honorable mention in the 37th International Physics Olympiad, 2006
- Crystal structure of the periplasmic sensor domain of histidine kinase VbrK suggests indirect sensing of β-lactam antibiotics
Boon Chong Goh^, Yong Kang Chua, Xinlei Qian, Jianqing Lin, Martin Savko, Peter C. Dedon, and Julien Lescar^. Journal of Structural Biology, 2020 (in press)
^ Corresponding author
- Turning an Asparaginyl Endopeptidase into a Peptide Ligase.
Xinya Hemu, Abbas El Sahili, Side Hu, Xiaohong Zhang, Aida Serra, Boon Chong Goh, Dina A Darwis, Ming Wei Chen, Siu Kwan Sze, Chuan-fa Liu, Julien Lescar, James P. Tam. ACS Catalysis, 10(15):8825–8834, 2020
- Structural determinants for peptide-bond formation by asparaginyl ligases.
Xinya Hemu, Abbas El Sahili, Side Hu, Kaho Wong, Yu Chen, Yee Hwa Wong, Xiaohong Zhang, Aida Serra, Boon Chong Goh, Dina A. Darwis, Ming Wei Chen, Siu Kwan Sze, Chuan-Fa Liu, Julien Lescar, and James P. Tam. PNAS, 116(24):11737-11746, 2019
- Allosteric pyruvate kinase-based “logic gate” synergistically senses energy and sugar levels in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Wenhe Zhong, Liang Cui, Boon Chong Goh, Qixu Cai, Peiying Ho, Yok Hian Chionh, Meng Yuan, Abbas El Sahili, Linda A Fothergill-Gilmore, Malcolm D Walkinshaw, Julien Lescar and Peter C Dedon. Nature Communications, 8:1986, 2017
- Length of encapsidated cargo impacts stability and structure of in vitro assembled alphavirus core-like particles.
Vamseedhar Rayaprolu, Alan Moore, Joseph Che-Yen Wang, Boon Chong Goh, Juan R Perilla, Adam Zlotnick and Suchetana Mukhopadhyay. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 29:484003, 2017
- Structural mimicry of the dengue virus envelope glycoprotein revealed by the crystallographic study of an idiotype-anti-idiotype Fab complex.
Yee Hwa Wong*, Boon Chong Goh*, She Yah Lim*, En Wei Teo*, Angeline P. C. Lim, Pete C. Dedon, Brendon J. Hanson, Paul A. MacAry and Julien Lescar. Journal of Virology, 91:e00406-17, 2017
Featured as spotlight: Dissecting immune response with an anti-idiotypic antibody
- Computational de novo design of peptide-binding antibodies with high affinity.
Venkata Giridhar Poosarla, Tong Li, Boon Chong Goh, Klaus Schulten, Thomas K. Wood, Costas D. Maranas Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 114:1331-1342 2017
Featured as spotlight: De novo design of peptide binding antibodies
- Elucidation of Lipid Binding Sites on Lung Surfactant Protein A Using X-ray Crystallography, Mutagenesis, and Molecular Dynamics Simulations.
Boon Chong Goh, Huixing Wu, Michael Rynkiewicz, Klaus Schulten, Barbara Seaton, and Francis McCormack. Biochemistry, 55:3692-3701, 2016
- Computational Methodologies for Real-space Structural Refinement of Large Macromolecular Complexes
Boon Chong Goh*, Jodi A. Hadden*, Rafael C. Bernardi, Abhishek Singharoy, Ryan McGreevy, Till Rudack, C. Keith Cassidy, and Klaus Schulten. Annual Review of Biophysics 45:253-278, 2016
* Co-first author
- Contributions of charged residues in structurally dynamic capsid surface loops to Rous sarcoma virus assembly
Katrina J. Heyrana, Boon Chong Goh, Juan R. Perilla, Tam-Linh N. Nguyen, Matthew R. England, Maria C. Bewley, Klaus Schulten, and Rebecca C. Craven. Journal of Virology, 90:5700-5714, 2016
- All-atom Molecular Dynamics of Virus Capsids as Drug Targets
Juan R. Perilla, Jodi A. Hadden, Boon Chong Goh, Christopher G. Mayne, and Klaus Schulten. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 7:1836–1844, 2016
- Chemical Visualization of Human Pathogens : The Retroviral Capsids
Juan R. Perilla*, Boon Chong Goh*, John Stone, and Klaus Schulten, Proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, SC'15. ACM/IEEE Press, 2015
- Atomic Modeling of an Immature Retroviral Lattice Using Molecular Dynamics and Mutagenesis
Boon Chong Goh*, Juan R. Perilla*, Matthew R. England, Katrina J. Heyrana, Rebecca C. Craven, and Klaus Schulten, Structure, 23:1414-1425, 2015
- Molecular dynamics simulations of large macromolecular complexes
Juan R. Perilla, Boon Chong Goh, C. Keith Cassidy, Bo Liu , Rafael C. Bernardi, Till Rudack, Hang Yu, Zhe Wu, and Klaus Schulten, Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 31:64-74, 2015
Top 10 most downloaded articles as of Aug 2015
- Molecular Mechanisms of Inhibition of Influenza by Surfactant Protein D Revealed by Large-Scale Molecular Dynamics Simulation
Boon Chong Goh, Michael J. Rynkiewicz, Tanya R. Cafarella, Mitchell R. White, Kevan L. Hartshorn, Kimberly Allen, Erika C. Crouch, Oliviana Calin, Peter H. Seeberger, Klaus Schulten, and Barbara A. Seaton, Biochemistry, 52:8527-8538, 2013
Featured in the book Glycobiology and Human Diseases on page 101-105.
- The Mechanism of Antiparallel β-sheet Formation based on Conditioned Self-Avoiding Walk
Boon Chong Goh, Hon Wai Leong, Xiaohui Qu and Lock Yue Chew, European Physical Journal E, 35:27, 2012
Structural and Kinetic Studies Reveal Substrate Recognition and Specificity of ErmB, a 23S rRNA Methyltransferase
- Gordon Research Conference: New Antibacterial Discovery and Development, 2018, Ventura, California (poster)
- International Union of Microbiological Societies, 2017, Singapore (abstract selected for talk)
Computational Modeling of the Immature Retroviral Lattice
- Biophysical Society 60th Annual Meeting, 2016, Los Angeles, California (poster)
- Structural Biology Related to HIV/AIDS, 2015, Bethesda, Maryland (abtract selected for talk)
- Annual Meeting of the Pittsburgh Center for HIV Protein Interactions, 2015, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (poster)
- Bioinformatics Institute Seminar, 2015, A*STAR, Singapore (invited talk)
- Physics and Applied Physics Seminar, 2015, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (talk)
- Capsid club seminar, 2014, Indiana University, Indiana (invited talk)
- Structural Biology Related to HIV/AIDS, 2014, Bethesda, Maryland (poster)
Development of Antibody-Like Binders for Rapid Ebola Infection Screening Guided by Computer-Aided Design and Biomolecular Simulations
- Targeting Ebola - Recent Advances and Strategies, 2015, Institut Pasteur, Paris (poster)
Unraveling the Dual Role of Surfactant Protein A at Atomistic Detail
- Biophysical Society 59th Annual Meeting, 2015, Baltimore, Maryland (poster)
- Frontiers in Membrane Protein Structural Dynamics, 2014, Chicago, Illinois (poster)
Capsid-locking Mechanism in the Maturation of a T=4 Virus
- XXIII Biennial Conference on Phage/Virus Assembly, 2013, Lake Arrowhead, California (poster)
Mechanism of Interaction between Lung Surfactant Protein-D and Influenza A Virus Hemagglutinin
- Biophysical Society 57th Annual Meeting, 2013, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (poster)
- Biophysical Society 56th Annual Meeting, 2012, San Diego, California (poster)
- Immature virus capsids
TCBG announcement, TCBG highlight, CPLC highlight
NVIDIA blog, 部落格, and news
Beckman Institute, NSF News, Phys.org, ScienceDaily, EurekAlert!, Sci-News, HPCwire
VR video featured in Chemical and Engineering News
NIH Director's Blog
- Inhibition of lung surfactant proteins against pathogens