Boon Chong Goh, Ph.D.
Dr. Boon Chong Goh is the CEO and founder of ArrowBiome Pte Ltd. During his tenure as a principal research scientist at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) in Singapore, Boon Chong has developed two technology platforms for selective microbiome control by combining his expertise in microbiology, structural biology, computational biophysics, drug discovery, and protein biochemistry.
Boon Chong received his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2016 under the supervision of the late Prof. Klaus Schulten in the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics group at the Beckman Institute. He received his B.Sc. double majoring in physics and mathematics from Nanyang Technological University.
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- M.Sc. in Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
- B.Sc.(Hons) in Physics and Applied Mathematics, Nanyang Technological University, 2011
Honors and Awards
- SMART Scholars Programme for Postdoctoral Research, 2016-2018
- Biophysical Society Education Committee Travel Award, 2015
- Best Visualization Award of SC’14 Scientific Visualization and Data Analytics Showcase, 2014
- Center of Physics for Living Cells (CPLC) graduate fellowship, 2011-2013
- Nanyang Scholarship and CN Yang Scholars Programme, 2007-2011
- Honorable mention in the 37th International Physics Olympiad, 2006
For the complete publication list, see Google Scholar profile.
- Novel Phage Lysin Abp013 against Acinetobacter baumannii
Joash Jun Keat Chu, Wee Han Poh, Nabilah Taqiah Binte Hasnuddin, En Yi Hew, Linh Chi Dam, Abbas El Sahili, Scott A. Rice*, and Boon Chong Goh*. Antibiotics 11(2), 169 (2022)
* Corresponding author
Part of Special Issue: Bacteriophage Lysins in the Era of Antibiotic Resistance
- Engineering SARS-CoV-2 specific cocktail antibodies into a bispecific format improves neutralizing potency and breadth
Zhiqiang Ku, Xuping Xie, Jianqing Lin, Peng Gao, Bin Wu, Abbas El Sahili, Hang Su, Yang Liu, Xiaohua Ye, Eddie Yongjun Tan, Xin Li, Xuejun Fan, Boon Chong Goh, Wei Xiong, Hannah Boyd, Antonio E. Muruato, Hui Deng, Hongjie Xia, Jing Zou, Birte K. Kalveram, Vineet D. Menachery, Ningyan Zhang, Julien Lescar, Pei-Yong Shi, and Zhiqiang An. Nature Communications, 13:5552, 2022
- Crystal structure and functional analysis of mycobacterial erythromycin resistance methyltransferase Erm38 reveals its RNA binding site
Boon Chong Goh*, Xinyu Xiang, Julien Lescar*, Peter C. Dedon*. Journal of Biological Chemistry 101571 (2022)
- Cutibacterium acnes: much ado about maybe nothing much
Maurice A.M. van Steensel and Boon Chong Goh. Experimental Dermatology 30(10):1471-1476, 2021
- Engineered Lysins with Customized Lytic Activities against Enterococci and Staphylococci
Hana Sakina Binte Muhammad Jai, Linh Chi Dam, Lowella Servito Tay, Jodi Jia Wei Koh, Hooi Linn Loo, Kimberly A. Kline, and Boon Chong Goh*. Frontiers of Microbiology, 212(2):107610, 2020
- Crystal structure of the periplasmic sensor domain of histidine kinase VbrK suggests indirect sensing of β-lactam antibiotics
Boon Chong Goh*, Yong Kang Chua, Xinlei Qian, Jianqing Lin, Martin Savko, Peter C. Dedon, and Julien Lescar*. Journal of Structural Biology, 212(2):107610, 2020
- Structural determinants for peptide-bond formation by asparaginyl ligases.
Xinya Hemu, Abbas El Sahili, Side Hu, Kaho Wong, Yu Chen, Yee Hwa Wong, Xiaohong Zhang, Aida Serra, Boon Chong Goh, Dina A. Darwis, Ming Wei Chen, Siu Kwan Sze, Chuan-Fa Liu, Julien Lescar, and James P. Tam. PNAS, 116(24):11737-11746, 2019
- Allosteric pyruvate kinase-based “logic gate” synergistically senses energy and sugar levels in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Wenhe Zhong, Liang Cui, Boon Chong Goh, Qixu Cai, Peiying Ho, Yok Hian Chionh, Meng Yuan, Abbas El Sahili, Linda A Fothergill-Gilmore, Malcolm D Walkinshaw, Julien Lescar and Peter C Dedon. Nature Communications, 8:1986, 2017
- Structural mimicry of the dengue virus envelope glycoprotein revealed by the crystallographic study of an idiotype-anti-idiotype Fab complex.
Yee Hwa Wong†, Boon Chong Goh†, She Yah Lim†, En Wei Teo†, Angeline P. C. Lim, Pete C. Dedon, Brendon J. Hanson, Paul A. MacAry and Julien Lescar. Journal of Virology, 91:e00406-17, 2017
† Co-first author
Featured as spotlight: Dissecting immune response with an anti-idiotypic antibody
- Computational de novo design of peptide-binding antibodies with high affinity.
Venkata Giridhar Poosarla, Tong Li, Boon Chong Goh, Klaus Schulten, Thomas K. Wood, Costas D. Maranas Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 114:1331-1342 2017
Featured as spotlight: De novo design of peptide binding antibodies
- Elucidation of Lipid Binding Sites on Lung Surfactant Protein A Using X-ray Crystallography, Mutagenesis, and Molecular Dynamics Simulations.
Boon Chong Goh, Huixing Wu, Michael Rynkiewicz, Klaus Schulten, Barbara Seaton, and Francis McCormack. Biochemistry, 55:3692-3701, 2016
- Computational Methodologies for Real-space Structural Refinement of Large Macromolecular Complexes
Boon Chong Goh†, Jodi A. Hadden†, Rafael C. Bernardi, Abhishek Singharoy, Ryan McGreevy, Till Rudack, C. Keith Cassidy, and Klaus Schulten. Annual Review of Biophysics 45:253-278, 2016
- Atomic Modeling of an Immature Retroviral Lattice Using Molecular Dynamics and Mutagenesis
Boon Chong Goh†, Juan R. Perilla†, Matthew R. England, Katrina J. Heyrana, Rebecca C. Craven, and Klaus Schulten, Structure, 23:1414-1425, 2015
- Novel lysin capable of killing multidrug-resistant bacteria
MIT News, SMART Highlight, EurekAlert!, CNA 938 radio interview
- Customized Targeting of Bacteria Using Lysins
MIT News, SMART Highlight, Interesting Engineering, ScienceDaily, EurekAlert!