Boon Chong Goh, Ph.D.
Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology
1 CREATE Way #03-13/14
Dr. Boon Chong Goh is a principal research scientist at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) in Singapore. His research projects focus on the development of novel antimicrobial agents targeting antibiotic-resistant bacteria using protein engineering and high-throughput screening. Boon Chong received his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2016 under the supervision of the late Prof. Klaus Schulten in the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics group at the Beckman Institute. He received his B.Sc. double majoring in physics and mathematics from Nanyang Technological University in 2011.
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- M.Sc. in Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
- B.Sc.(Hons) in Physics and Applied Mathematics, Nanyang Technological University, 2011
Honors and Awards
- SMART Scholars Programme for Postdoctoral Research, 2016-2018
- Biophysical Society Education Committee Travel Award, 2015
- Best Visualization Award of SC’14 Scientific Visualization and Data Analytics Showcase, 2014
- Center of Physics for Living Cells (CPLC) graduate fellowship, 2011-2013
- Nanyang Scholarship and CN Yang Scholars Programme, 2007-2011
- Honorable mention in the 37th International Physics Olympiad, 2006
For the complete publication list, see Google Scholar profile.
- Cutibacterium acnes: much ado about maybe nothing much
Maurice A.M. van Steensel and Boon Chong Goh. Experimental Dermatology (in press)
- All-Atom MD Simulations of the HBV Capsid Complexed with AT130 Reveal Secondary and Tertiary Structural Changes and Mechanisms of Allostery
Carolina Pérez-Segura, Boon Chong Goh and Jodi A. Hadden-Perilla. Viruses 13(4), 564, 2021
- Engineered Lysins with Customized Lytic Activities against Enterococci and Staphylococci
Hana Sakina Binte Muhammad Jai, Linh Chi Dam, Lowella Servito Tay, Jodi Jia Wei Koh, Hooi Linn Loo, Kimberly A. Kline, and Boon Chong Goh*. Frontiers of Microbiology, 212(2):107610, 2020
* Corresponding author
- Crystal structure of the periplasmic sensor domain of histidine kinase VbrK suggests indirect sensing of β-lactam antibiotics
Boon Chong Goh*, Yong Kang Chua, Xinlei Qian, Jianqing Lin, Martin Savko, Peter C. Dedon, and Julien Lescar*. Journal of Structural Biology, 212(2):107610, 2020
* Corresponding author
- Turning an asparaginyl endopeptidase into a peptide ligase.
Xinya Hemu, Abbas El Sahili, Side Hu, Xiaohong Zhang, Aida Serra, Boon Chong Goh, Dina A Darwis, Ming Wei Chen, Siu Kwan Sze, Chuan-fa Liu, Julien Lescar, James P. Tam. ACS Catalysis, 10(15):8825–8834, 2020
- The SiaABC threonine phosphorylation pathway controls biofilm formation in response to carbon availability in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Wee-Han Poh, Jianqing Lin, Brendan Colley, Nicolai Müller, Boon Chong Goh, David Schleheck, Abbas El Sahili, Andreas Marquardt, Yang Liang, Staffan Kjelleberg, Julien Lescar, Scott A. Rice, and Janosch Klebensberger. PLOS ONE, 15(11):e0241019, 2020
- Structural determinants for peptide-bond formation by asparaginyl ligases.
Xinya Hemu, Abbas El Sahili, Side Hu, Kaho Wong, Yu Chen, Yee Hwa Wong, Xiaohong Zhang, Aida Serra, Boon Chong Goh, Dina A. Darwis, Ming Wei Chen, Siu Kwan Sze, Chuan-Fa Liu, Julien Lescar, and James P. Tam. PNAS, 116(24):11737-11746, 2019
- Allosteric pyruvate kinase-based “logic gate” synergistically senses energy and sugar levels in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Wenhe Zhong, Liang Cui, Boon Chong Goh, Qixu Cai, Peiying Ho, Yok Hian Chionh, Meng Yuan, Abbas El Sahili, Linda A Fothergill-Gilmore, Malcolm D Walkinshaw, Julien Lescar and Peter C Dedon. Nature Communications, 8:1986, 2017
- Structural mimicry of the dengue virus envelope glycoprotein revealed by the crystallographic study of an idiotype-anti-idiotype Fab complex.
Yee Hwa Wong†, Boon Chong Goh†, She Yah Lim†, En Wei Teo†, Angeline P. C. Lim, Pete C. Dedon, Brendon J. Hanson, Paul A. MacAry and Julien Lescar. Journal of Virology, 91:e00406-17, 2017
† Co-first author
Featured as spotlight: Dissecting immune response with an anti-idiotypic antibody
- Computational de novo design of peptide-binding antibodies with high affinity.
Venkata Giridhar Poosarla, Tong Li, Boon Chong Goh, Klaus Schulten, Thomas K. Wood, Costas D. Maranas Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 114:1331-1342 2017
Featured as spotlight: De novo design of peptide binding antibodies
- Elucidation of Lipid Binding Sites on Lung Surfactant Protein A Using X-ray Crystallography, Mutagenesis, and Molecular Dynamics Simulations.
Boon Chong Goh, Huixing Wu, Michael Rynkiewicz, Klaus Schulten, Barbara Seaton, and Francis McCormack. Biochemistry, 55:3692-3701, 2016
- Computational Methodologies for Real-space Structural Refinement of Large Macromolecular Complexes
Boon Chong Goh†, Jodi A. Hadden†, Rafael C. Bernardi, Abhishek Singharoy, Ryan McGreevy, Till Rudack, C. Keith Cassidy, and Klaus Schulten. Annual Review of Biophysics 45:253-278, 2016
- Contributions of charged residues in structurally dynamic capsid surface loops to Rous sarcoma virus assembly
Katrina J. Heyrana, Boon Chong Goh, Juan R. Perilla, Tam-Linh N. Nguyen, Matthew R. England, Maria C. Bewley, Klaus Schulten, and Rebecca C. Craven. Journal of Virology, 90:5700-5714, 2016
- Atomic Modeling of an Immature Retroviral Lattice Using Molecular Dynamics and Mutagenesis
Boon Chong Goh†, Juan R. Perilla†, Matthew R. England, Katrina J. Heyrana, Rebecca C. Craven, and Klaus Schulten, Structure, 23:1414-1425, 2015
- Molecular dynamics simulations of large macromolecular complexes
Juan R. Perilla, Boon Chong Goh, C. Keith Cassidy, Bo Liu , Rafael C. Bernardi, Till Rudack, Hang Yu, Zhe Wu, and Klaus Schulten, Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 31:64-74, 2015
Top 10 most downloaded articles as of Aug 2015
- Customised Targeting of Bacteria Using Lysins
MIT News, SMART Highlight, Interesting Engineering, ScienceDaily, EurekAlert!
- Immature virus capsids
TCBG announcement, TCBG highlight, CPLC highlight
NVIDIA blog, 部落格, and news
Beckman Institute, NSF News, Phys.org, ScienceDaily, EurekAlert!, Sci-News, HPCwire
VR video featured in Chemical and Engineering News
NIH Director's Blog
- Inhibition of lung surfactant proteins against pathogens